Tenderly cooked and shredded chicken, in a fabulous, honey garlic sauce…It’s over the top delicious! Such a versatile dish. I love serving it over shredded, steamed cabbage, as shown in the photo. Or you could serve over brown rice, quinoa, or steamed vegetables. This makes 6 large servings. Each has 310 calories, 4 grams of fat and 7 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 9 Green. It’s sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Prep Time: 25 minutes (includes prep time once cooked)
Cook Time: 3-4 hours on low heat or 1½-2 hours on high heat
2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (if large, cut each in half)
1 cup diced onions
½ cup honey
½ cup low sodium soy sauce (Tamari for gluten-free)
¼ cup hoisin sauce, see shopping tips
2 teaspoon ginger (from a jar), see shopping tips
2 teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon fresh garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon flour or ½ tablespoon cornstarch (for glutenfree), to thicken sauce
Sliced scallions, for garnish
1. Arrange chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock-pot. If large, cut int half. Add onions.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, hoisin, ginger, olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Pour sauce over chicken and onions. Cover crock-pot and cook chicken on LOW HEAT for 3-4 hours or on HIGH HEAT 1½-2 hours, until the chicken is fully cooked. (cook time depends on your crock-pot. Mine took 1½ hours on high heat).
3. Using tongs, remove chicken from crock-pot (reserving the liquids) and place it on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred chicken into smaller pieces or slice chicken into thin slices and shred with your fingers. Place shredded chicken in a large bowl.
4. In a very small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water. Mix well to dissolve. If you using cornstarch, use ½ tablespoon cornstarch and mix with 1 tablespoon of cold water. Mix well to dissolve.
5. Transfer liquids from crock-pot into a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and whisk in flour or cornstarch. Bring sauce to a boil and cook until it reduces and has thickened slightly about 4 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken, tossing to combine.
6. Serve chicken over steamed shredded, cabbage, or brown rice, if desired. Check Serving Tips, below. Top with sliced scallions, if desired.
7. Any leftovers freeze great.
Makes 6 serving. Each serving, 1⅓ cups. (1 cup shredded chicken and about ⅓ cup sauce)
Hoisin sauce is sold in most supermarkets in the Asian or international section. Many supermarkets carry a gluten-free one.
Ginger (in a jar) can be found in most supermarkets in the produce section where they display garlic, in a jar.
This chicken tastes really yummy over steamed cabbage. For ease, buy bags of already shredded cabbage. You need about 2 cups, uncooked, per serving. Place all the shredded cabbage in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cook in microwave for about 2 minutes, until cabbage is soft.
Divide and place cabbage on each plate or bowl. Top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with chopped scallions, if desired.
This would work the same with broccoli slaw or zucchini noodles.
WW FreeStyle SmartPoints 7-Blue
WW SmartPoints 9-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1⅓ cups serving of chicken and sauce
310 cal, 4g fat, 2g sat. fat, 74mg chol, 37g prot, 33g carbs, 1g fiber, 27g sugar, 941mg sod
|FACTS: for FreeStyle SmartPoints
124 calories, 0g sat. fat, 26g sugar, 0g protein