This is a wonderful berry crisp. I’m using a triple berry combo but using one type of berry will work too. So great to make when berries are everywhere and very reasonably priced. A fruit crisp is really simple to make. It’s so much easier to make than a pie. It’s skinny by using reduced-fat butter instead of regular and using a bit less along with less crumbly topping. Each serving has 318 calories, 8 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. For an added treat serve this charming dessert topped with fat-free frozen vanilla yogurt or light whipped cream. Mmm…
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
1½ cups fresh blackberries
1½ cups raspberries
1½ cups blueberries
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup rolled oats
½ cup golden brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup reduced-fat butter, cold
Fat-free frozen vanilla yogurt, optional
Light whipped cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a medium bowl using a rubber spatula, gently toss together the blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and white sugar; set aside
3. In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add the butter in pieces and carefully blend while keeping crumbly.
4. Coat 6 (3 ½-inch) ramekins with cooking spray, see prep tip. Divide the sugared berries among them.
Divide and sprinkle evenly over the berries the crumble mixture, about ⅓ cup for each.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place the 6 ramekin cups on the pan.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown. Top with a little whipped cream or frozen yogurt, if desired.
A crisp is a dessert of fruit topped with a crumbly, sweet pastry mixture and baked until browned and crisp.
A ramekin is an individual baking dish, usually 3-4 inches in diameter that resembles a soufflé dish.
Berries are so healthy. They’re low in calories but high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Studies have shown they may even help prevent cancer and heart disease, as well as slowing the aging process.
Ramekins can be found at Bed Bath and Beyond, World Market, Target or cookware stores.
This recipe can also be prepared in a 9-inch Pyrex dish or baking pan. Place the sugar coated berries in a pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly over the top the crumble mixture. Bake as directed.
This can be made earlier in the day. When cooled, cover with plastic wrap. Store at room temperature on the counter top. Before serving, place in a preheated 350 degree oven until warm, if desired.
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
318 calories, 8g fat, 4g protein, 58g carbs, 7g fiber, 130mg sodium, 33g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving
488 calories, 21g fat, 5g protein, 74g carbs, 7g fiber, 209 sodium, 42g sugar