My family loves to eat turkey all throughout the year. This is my go-to recipe. It’s so easy to make because it’s going in the crock pot. To make it skinny, I’ve removed the skin from the breasts before cooking. Simply doing this saves 130 calories and 10 grams of fat per serving! Now each skinny serving has 221 calories, 1 gram of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. It’s wonderful for dinner any night of the week. The leftovers make great sandwiches too.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 hours
Ingredients for Turkey:
2 turkey breast halves, 2-2½ lb. each
2 teaspoons dried sage or more, if desired
2 teaspoons dried thyme, or more, if desired
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2 cups onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
8 springs fresh rosemary
Ingredients for Garnish: optional
4-6 springs fresh rosemary
Sugared cranberries, see recipe below
1. Remove skin from turkey breasts and pat dry with paper towels. Season each breast on both sides with sage, thyme and pepper.
2. Place 1 cup of onion and half the garlic on the bottom of crock pot. Add the seasoned breasts, breast side down. Add the remaining onions and garlic on top. Pour the chicken broth and lemon juice over the top.
3. Place the rosemary springs under the breasts and on top of them.
4. Cook on high setting for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low setting and cook for 3-4 more hours until the turkey is completely white inside. You can check if they’re done by using a meat thermometer. It should register 180 degrees.
5. Remove turkey breast to a craving board. When they’re cool enough to handle, slice the turkey and place on a serving plate. Pour a little of the juice from the crock pot all over the turkey. Garnish the platter with more fresh rosemary springs, lemon slices and sugared cranberries, if desired.
5. Store any leftover turkey in a bowl with some of the juice poured over it.
Makes 6-8 servings (about 4 ounces each serving)
The rise in popularity of lean turkey has been spurred by the increased availability of individual turkey pieces such as breasts, tenderloins, cutlets and ground turkey. These alternatives to cooking a whole turkey have made it more convenient for people to easily incorporate turkey into their diets. Turkey breasts are sold fresh or frozen year-round.
Turkey breast is a healthy low calorie and low fat protein when the skin is removed. It contains a good amount of niacin and vitamins B6 and B12.
Recipe for Sugared Cranberries: optional
1 bag or box frozen cranberries or place an 12 oz bag in the freezer the night before
¼ cup sugar or superfine sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread frozen cranberries on a baking sheet. Sprinkle them with half the sugar. Shake pan to spread the sugar all over the berries.
3. Bake the berries for 4 minutes; remove pan sprinkle a little more sugar and shake again. Place back in oven and bake until sugar melts, about 4 minutes.
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving of turkey (about 4 ounces each)
221 calories, 1g fat, 44g protein, 5g carbs, 1g fiber, 369mg sodium, 1g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving with skin left on
351 calories, 11g fat, 44g protein, 1g fiber, 484mg sodium, 3g sugar