Wait until you taste this skinny breakfast casserole! It’s sooo hearty and includes the fabulous Denver omelette flavors of eggs, ham, bell peppers and cheese all loaded into one absolutely delicious dish! So luxuriously rich in flavors but extremely low in fat and calories. It’s so simple to make since using shredded frozen hash browns. Perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch but so quick to make, you can easily make it during the week. It freezes great too! Each skinny serving has just 165 calories, 4 grams of fat and only 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. A keeper for sure!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for Egg Casserole:
Olive oil cooking spray or your favorite
1½ cups onions, chopped
1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
1¼ cups (5 ounces) lean ham, chopped, see shopping tip
½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt or nonfat plain yogurt
½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
½ cup fat-free milk
2 eggs beaten, I like using Eggland’s Best Eggs, see shopping tips
2 egg whites
¼ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt or salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Hash Browns Topping:
4 cups frozen hash browns, not defrosted, see shopping tip
½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt or salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, cook onions and red peppers in microwave for 3 minutes. Drain liquid.
3. In a large bowl, add cooked onions and peppers, ham, yogurt, cottage cheese and milk. Mix well. Stir in eggs, egg whites, ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt or salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Pour mixture into baking pan. Spread evenly. Cover the top evenly with frozen hash browns. Make sure to break up the chunks of frozen potatoes. Spray the top generously with cooking spray. Sprinkle top with ½ teaspoon seasoning salt or salt.
5. Cover casserole with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 30 minutes. To crisp hash browns, place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Be sure to keep an eye on it while broiling to not burn.
6. Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes to set. Cut into 6 slices.
7. This casserole can be reheated and it freezes great! It can be easily doubled and made in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
Makes 6 serving (each serving, 1 slice)
Trader Joe’s sells (8 oz) packages of Black Forest ham. It’s uncured and contains ‘no nitrates.’ In addition, most health food markets sell this type of ham. Or, use your favorite lean ham such as Oscar Meyer.
Frozen Hash Brown potatoes are sold in most supermarkets. They contain no fat, just shredded potatoes. I used Ore Ida’s frozen plain shredded hash browns. One serving (1¼ cups) has just 70 calories, 0g fat, 10g carbs, 1g protein, 1g fiber, 0g sugar, 12mg sodium
Whenever a recipe calls for using eggs, I LOVE Eggland’s Best eggs! They have less saturated fat, less cholesterol, more Vitamin D, more Vitamin E and double the Omega 3 than regular eggs. Most supermarkets see them in the egg aisle.
Serve this casserole with sliced tomatoes and fresh fruit, if desired.
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
165 calories, 4g fat, 13g protein, 15g carbs, 2g fiber, 541mg sodium, 4g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving Denny’s Grand Slam Slugger with hash browns
1040 calories, 55g fat, 38g protein, 97g carbs, 4g fiber, 2,640mg sodium