Tomato soup is so homey. Adding chicken sausages, cheese tortellini and kale makes it an extraordinary main course soup! You’ll get a big pot of soup and any leftovers, not eaten in a few days, freeze great. Each bowl has 268 calories, 7 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 (12 oz) package fully cooked Trader Joe’s chicken and herb sausages (or your favorite), cut into small pieces, see shopping tips
1 (32 oz) container reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (unseasoned)
1 (16 oz) jar of pizza or pasta sauce, I used Ragu pizza sauce or use your favorite
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 (10 oz) package refrigerated cheese tortellini, see shopping tips
4 cup chopped or torn fresh kale, I used Trader Joe’s organic Tuscan kale, cut and washed
Grated Parmesan cheese, optional topping
1. In a microwave safe bowl, add onions, carrots and red bell peppers. Cook in microwave for 3 minutes, to soften.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, nonstick pot. Add softened vegetables and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1½ minutes. Add sausage pieces and continue to cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, crushed tomatoes and pizza or pasta sauce. Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
3. Stir in tortellini and kale. Turn heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer for 8 minutes, until pasta is tender (al dente) but not overcooked. Stir often.
4. Ladle into bowls. Top each with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired.
5. Since the pasta absorbs some of the liquid, when reheating, you might need to add a little more chicken broth or water.
6. This soup freezes great, too.
Makes 8 main course servings. Each serving, 1½ cups.
Cooked tomatoes contain lycopene. This carotenoid is found in tomatoes (and everything made from them) has been extensively studied for its antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties.
Kale provides an excellent source of both vitamins A and C, along with a decent amount of fiber. Kale also contains vitamin B6, as well as iron and calcium.
I love Trader Joe’s chicken and herb sausages. They are fully cooked. So lean, they’re all natural and gluten-free. Each has only 7 grams of fat. If you don’t have a Trader joe’s, use any lean chicken or turkey sausage. Make sure they are fully cooked.
I used Trader Joe’s Cheese Tortellini. It’s fresh pasta and found in the refrigerated section. Most supermarkets carry a few brands, such as Buitoni.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1½ cup serving
268 cal, 7g fat, 2g sat, fat, 46mg chol, 19g prot, 35g carbs, 6g fiber, 989mg sod, 6g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
190 calories, 2g sat. fat, 4g sugar, 14g protein