This fiber rich pasta dish is easy, loaded with flavor and just plain de-licious! It has a bit of a kick but since the heat is coming from red pepper flakes you can easily adjust the amount. The very lean, turkey sausage is made from scratch using ground turkey breast and seasonings. Each skinny serving has 273 calories, 6 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints, including cheese on top. I not only love this dish for a Sunday night dinner, it’s so quick to make, it works well for a weeknight dinner too!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1½ cups yellow, orange or red bell peppers, chopped
1 cup onions, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces (½ pound) 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dry Italian seasonings
¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste (I used ¼ teaspoon)
¼ cup white wine, see shopping tips
1½ cups cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
½ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
2 cups cooked whole grain penne pasta (1½ cups dry, about 4 ounces)
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated shredded for topping
1. In a microwave safe plate or bowl, add bell peppers and onions. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until softened.
2. In a large nonstick pan, add olive oil and heat. Add ground turkey and brown, stirring often for about 4 minutes, breaking into pieces. Add garlic, Italian seasonings, cooked peppers, onions and red pepper flakes. Saute for about 2 minutes.
3. Add wine (deglaze with wine), scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of pan. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in tomatoes and continue to cook until heated through about 2 minutes. Season with a little salt.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in fresh basil, cooked pasta and toss well.
5. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, if desired
Makes 4 servings (each serving, 1¼ cups and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese)
Arrabbiata means angry in Italian-the name of the sauce is due to the heat of the red pepper flakes. The sauce usually includes garlic, tomatoes, olive oil and red pepper flakes. Sometimes sausage is added.The dish is usually served over penne pasta.
No need to use an expensive bottle of white wine for this dish. I usually buy a very inexpensive wine such as Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw wine. It’s known as the Two Buck Chuck!
Reduced-sodium chicken broth can be used instead of the wine.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 5 (without Parmesan cheese on top)
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 6 (with Parmesan cheese on top)
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6 (without Parmesan cheese on top)
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7 (with Parmesan cheese on top)
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (1¼ cups) with Parmesan cheese
273 calories, 6g fat, 2g sat. fat, 28mg chol, 21g protein, 33g carbs, 6g fiber, 340mg sodium, 1g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
233 calories, 2g sat. fat, 1g sugar, 19g protein