Everybody loves these little potato appetizers for Hanukkah but they’ll be perfect for Passover too. Best of all, they’re baked not fried! I’ve removed the flour and used matzo meal instead. All the other ingredients work just great! The skinny for 4 of these little gems is 64 calories, 1 gram fat and 2 Weight Watchers POINTS. Just place them on a serving plate with a small dish of sour cream and applesauce. Let everybody dress their own pancakes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
3 tablespoons matzo meal or matzo (ground in the blender to become crumbs), see food fact
1 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1 small onion, quartered
1 pound potatoes (2-3 medium) peeled & cut into large chunks
Fat-free or reduced-fat sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a bowl mix the eggs, matzo meal, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
3. With a food processor, grate the potatoes and onions.
4. Wrap the potatoes in paper towels to drain liquid.
5. Mix the potatoes into the egg mixture and blend well.
6. Coat baking pans with lots of cooking spray.
7. Drop a tablespoon at a time of batter onto baking sheets (about 1 inch apart) and flatten each with a spatula. Place 20 pancakes on each pan.
8. Bake one tray at a time for 12-15 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown (use 2 ovens if you have them). Flip pancakes and bake 12 -15 more minutes until golden brown.
9. Place potato pancakes on a platter. Serve with sour cream and applesauce on the side.
10. Serve immediately. These can be made in advance and reheated in the oven to become hot and crisp again.
Makes 40 mini potato pancakes
Matzo meal is ground matzo. It’s generally made in two textures, fine and medium. It’s used in a variety of foods and is also used to thicken soups and for breading foods to be fried. It’s available in most supermarkets in the international section.
Potatoes are a superb source of potassium, niacin, and a good source of fiber and vitamin C.
Weight Watchers (old points) 1
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 2
|SKINNY FACTS: for 4 skinny mini potato pancakes
64 cal, 1.3g fat, 3g protein,11g carbs, 1g fiber, 309mg sodium, 1g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 4 mini potato pancakes
113 cal, 6.7g fat, 3g protein 11g carbs, 1g fiber, 485mg sodium, 1g sugar