Kids and grownups alike love these bite size treats! They are really simple to make and can be customized to your liking. Sometimes I roll them in mini chocolate chips or English toffee bits but they taste great with just the cookies and ice cream. The key to making them skinny is using reduced-fat ice cream and thin chocolate wafers. One sandwich has 67 calories, 2 grams of fat and 2 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. They’re fun to serve for company plus I like to keep these on hand in my freezer for a last minute skinny treat!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Freezer Time: 2 hours to firm
1 (9 oz) box Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
1 container Breyers Vanilla Bean Light Ice Cream (½ fat) or your favorite reduced-fat vanilla ice cream (this recipe uses about 2½ cups total)
Mini chocolate chips, Health English Toffee Bits, jimmies, chopped almonds or peanuts, optional
1. Soften ice cream slightly, if necessary, until it’s easy to scoop.
2. Top 1 wafer with 2 tablespoons of ice cream. Put another wafer on top (press down gently so you don’t crack the wafer) to spread out the ice cream. Spread sides of the ice cream sandwich with a knife.
3. If desired, roll sides of the ice cream in a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips, chopped English toffee or nuts. Place in freezer.
4. Continue making as many sandwiches as desired and place in the freezer.
5. Freeze for at least two hours, to firm. When firm, wrap each in plastic wrap and store in freezer.
6. Skinny, Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches will keep in the freezer for several weeks.
Makes 20 mini sandwiches ( 1 mini sandwich per serving)
It’s believed that the ice cream sandwich was invented in New York City in the 1900‘s. There was a man who had a cart in the Lower East Side. He made his ice cream sandwiches quickly with a tin mold. He sold them for 1 cent!
Most supermarkets carry Breyer’s Light ice cream. You can also substitute a soy-based light ice cream.
You’ll find Nabisco Chocolate Wafers in most supermarkets. They always seem to be displayed in an odd place. Sometimes they’re on display with ice cream toppings. Just ask.
You can vary the ice cream flavor and these sandwiches will taste quite different. If you’re a real chocolate fan for example, use reduced-fat chocolate ice cream and roll in mini chocolate chips.
Weight Watchers (old points) 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 2
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 Skinny Mini Ice Cream Sandwich (not including toppings) 67 calories, 2g fat, 1g protein, 11g carbs, 0g fiber, 77mg sodium, 7g sugar|
|FAT FACTS: for 1 Good Humor Ice Cream Sandwich
160 calories, 6g fat, 2g protein, 25g carbs, 0g fiber, 140mg sodium, 13g sugar