Get ready to make an extremely delicious meatloaf! Very different from a traditional one…It has all the great flavors of Mexican food in one skinny loaf. It’s so low in calories and fat thanks to using extra lean ground beef and free forming the loaf on a cookie sheet instead of baking in a loaf pan. The fat from the beef oozes out onto the pan instead of staying in the meatloaf. A generous 3 slice serving has 215 calories, 8 grams fat and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time 1 hour
1 pound extra lean ground beef or ground turkey, see shopping tips
1 cup red or yellow onions, chopped
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup corn (cut off the cob) or frozen and thawed
½ cup salsa plus ½ cup for topping, I love Pace Chunky Salsa (medium) or your favorite
1 ounce (~⅓ cup) reduced-fat tortilla chips, crushed, see shopping tips
2 egg whites
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a cookie sheet or baking pan with foil.
3. In a large bowl, combine beef, onions, red bell pepper, corn, ½ cup salsa, crushed tortilla chips, egg whites, and a little pepper. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
4. Place meatloaf mixture in center of cookie sheet and shape by hand, into a 12 x 4 inch loaf.
5. Spread remaining ½ cup salsa evenly over the top of loaf. Add more, if desired.
6. Bake 1 hour and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Cut into 12 slices.
Serves 4 (each serving 3 slices)
Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef is a terrific, healthy choice. It has 130 calories and 4 grams of fat for 4 ounces.
Free forming the loaf cuts the calories and fat down even further.
Salsa is actually a very healthy food. Thanks to the tomatoes, onions and chilies, it’s heart healthy and can help to prevent certain types of cancer. A ½-cup serving of salsa contains approximately 35 calories, 2 grams of fiber and 0 fat.
I used Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef. Most supermarkets sell extra lean ground beef or use lean ground turkey, if desired.
I used Trader Joe’s organic reduced-fat tortilla chips. There are several brands of baked tortilla chips in the supermarkets such as Guiltless Gourmet or Baked Tositos Scoops.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 3 slices (1 serving)
215 calories, 8g fat, 2g sat. fat, 60mg chol, 25g protein, 20g carbs, 4g fiber, 577mg sodium, 5g sugar