This casserole is so hearty and heathy with wonderful Mexican flavors. Leftovers freeze great. Each skinny serving has 299 calories, 8 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. It’s so filling you’ll only need a simple salad to serve with it and you’ll be all ready for dinner!
Prep Time: 15 minutes (not including cooking rice)
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for Casserole:
1 cup uncooked brown Basmati rice, regular brown rice or long grain rice
½ cup onions, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1½ cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup tomato sauce, I like using jarred tomato sauce but canned is ok (8 ounce can)
1 cup (4 ounces) light Mexican-style four cheese blend, shredded
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoons cumin
Ingredients for Topping: optional
6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream or fat-free plain yogurt (optional)
6 tablespoons salsa
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan or 2-quart casserole with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, add the onions and garlic and cook in the microwave for about 1 minute, to soften onions.
4. When rice is done, add it to a large mixing bowl. Mix in cooked onions and garlic, corn, diced chicken, tomatoes, tomato sauce, ½ cup of the cheese, chili powder and cumin. Mix well. Transfer to the casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and casserole is heated through.
5. Cool at least 10 minutes to set. Cut into 6 servings. If desired, top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream or yogurt, and 1 tablespoon salsa.
Makes 6 servings
If you don’t want to use cooked, store bought chicken, here’s an easy way to cook your own. In a large, nonstick pan, combine 8 to 9 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts and 1½ cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 14 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Drain well. Cool slightly. Dice into small pieces.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 8
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
Skinny Facts were calculated using brown Basmati rice and jarred tomato sauce. Does not include optional toppings.
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
299 calories, 8g fat, 3g sat. fat, 93mg chol, 41g carbs, 30g prot, 4g fiber, 400mg sod, 5g sugar