This outstanding reduced-fat dip has a full, rich flavor. It can be prepped in advance and baked just before serving. Usually fat-laden, heavy and greasy, spinach artichoke dips are made with 1 cup mayonnaise and cheese. Not this one! My skinny dip replaces them with Nancy’s Skinny Ranch Dressing and a small amount of Parmesan cheese. I actually think the ranch dressing adds more flavor than the mayo. Two tablespoons of this yummy dip, 40 calories, 2 grams of fat and only 1 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. A full fat recipe has 120 calories and 11 grams of fat.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Bake Time: 25 minutes
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons Nancy’s Skinny Ranch Dressing or a store bought reduced-fat ranch dressing
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
1 (13½ or 14-oz) can artichoke hearts (packed in water) rinsed and well-drained, chopped
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9” oven proof pie plate, oven proof dish or 2 smaller oven proof dishes with cooking spray.
2. In a small nonstick pan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and onions and saute until soft, about 2 minutes.
3. In medium bowl, add the cooked onions, ¼ cup cheese, ranch dressing, spinach, artichoke hearts, pepper and mix until well blended.
4. Transfer to baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. If baking in two dishes, sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Bake for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
5. Store any leftovers in the fridge. Reheat before serving.
Makes 3½ cups
Artichoke hearts are rich in folate, vitamin C, and iron.
I’ve cut down the sodium by rinsing the artichoke hearts before using them.
Spinach is considered to be one of the “super foods.” It’s rich in iron, vitamins A, C and beta-carotene. Frozen spinach is just as nutritious as fresh.
Be sure to make Nancy’s Skinny Ranch Dressing at least 1 hour before using, to thicken. You can also place it in the freezer for 20 minutes to thicken quicker.
I baked this dip in 2 smaller oven proof dishes. If you’re having a party, it’s great to bake one of them first and serve, then pop the other in the oven to serve a little later.
Suggested dippers, Trader Joe’s reduced-fat pita chips, bagel chips or toasted sliced baguettes. Some of the reduced-fat crackers such as Milton’s Snack crackers or Wheat Thins are good to dip with too.
Weight Watchers (old points) 1
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 1
|SKINNY FACTS: for 2 tablespoons
40 calories, 2g fat, 5g protein, 3g carbs, 1g fiber, 134mg sodium, 2g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 2 tablespoons
120 calories, 11g fat, 3g protein, 3g carbs, 1g fiber, 280mg sodium, 1g sugar