What a super yummy, easy to make, apple cake. It’s loaded with great fall flavors including tons of apple flavor since I’m adding fresh chopped apples, applesauce and apple juice to the cake mix. The skinny for each slice, 200 calories, 5 grams of fat and 10 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. Leave the glaze off and this cake has 6 SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 60 minutes
Ingredients for Cake:
Cooking spray (with flour in it) see shopping tip below
1 (16.5 oz) box Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, I like Eggland’s Best eggs
1 cup apples, peeled and diced
Ingredients for Caramel Glaze:
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar or powdered sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened apple juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Fall colored sprinkles for decoration, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray with flour in it, see shopping tip below.
2. In an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, combine all the cake ingredients except the eggs and apples. Beat well.
3. Add eggs and beat well again. Stir in diced apples.
4. Pour the cake batter evenly into the coated Bundt pan.
5. Bake for 60-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan. Let cake cool a bit before adding glaze.
6. To make caramel glaze: In a small bowl, add all glaze ingredients. Mix together until completely smooth. Add a teaspoon or 2 of water, if necessary to make it smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.
7. Decorate with fall colored sprinkles, If desired
Makes 16 slices (each serving, 1 slice)
Whenever a recipe calls for using whole eggs, Egg-Land’s Best eggs are my favorite to use. They have less saturated fat, less cholesterol, more Vitamin D, more Vitamin E and double the Omega 3 than regular eggs. They’re sold in most supermarkets .
I love using cooking spray, with flour in it. It ensures that the baked cake will not stick to the pan and break. Cooking spray with flour can be found in the aisle where cooking oils are displayed.
*Skinny Facts Without the Glaze:
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Skinny Facts: for 1 slice without glaze
150 calories, 5g fat, 1g sat. fat, 22mg chol, 2g protein, 27g carbs, 1g fiber, 211mg sodium, 14g sugar
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 10 with glaze
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6 with glaze
Weight Watchers (old points) 4 with glaze
|NEW SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice including glaze
200 calories, 5g fat, 1g sat. fat, 22mg chol, 2g protein, 42g carbs, 1g fiber, 214mg sodium, 30g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 slice Starbucks Apple Walnut Coffee Cake
320 calories, 17g fat, 4g protein, 41g carbs, 1g fiber, 330mg sodium, 28g sugar