You can hardly stop in any coffee house and not see some kind of biscotti. My mini version of the Italian twice-baked cookie is really yummy. These mini poppy seed jewels are deeply textured and covered with fluffy white powdered sugar. They impart a distinctive nutty flavor due to the poppy seeds. They make the perfect dipping cookie. The skinny for each biscotti is 38 calories, 1.5 grams fat and 1 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 10 minutes (batter needs to be chilled for 45 minutes before baking)
Bake Time: 55 minutes
4 egg whites
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour, I used unbleached flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup powdered sugar for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, using a hand or electric mixer, blend together the egg whites, egg, and oil.
3. Add the vanilla and sugar and continue to mix well.
4. Mix in the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt until the dough is combined. (Do not over mix) Place dough in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to firm up.
5. Divide the dough into 4 portions. Shape each portion into a loaf 2 ” wide by 1″ high, and about 10″ long. Place the loaves 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer loaves to a cutting board using a spatula. Cut the loaves crosswise into ¼- inch slices. Place the slices back on the baking sheet.
7. Return the sliced loaves back to the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Turn the biscotti over and bake for another 12 minutes or until crispy.
8. While still slightly warm, dust both sides of each biscotti with powdered sugar.
Makes about 100 mini biscotti
Poppy seeds are the tiny blue-black seeds of the opium poppy that are used to flavor breads and desserts. They are opium-free because opium is found in the pod and not in the seed itself. Although it’s hard to tell from their size it takes about 900,000 seeds to make one pound.
Store biscotti in an airtight container and they will stay fresh for at least a month. If they last that long!
Weight Watchers (old points) 1
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 1
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 mini biscotti
38 cal, 1.5g fat, 1g protein, 6g carbs, 0g fiber, 16mg sodium, 3g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 mini biscotti
51 cal, 3g fat, 1g protein, 6g carbs, 0g fiber, 44mg sodium, 3g sugar