Looking for an easy dessert to make? Well, your search is over. This is one of my “no time to bake cakes” since I’m starting with a cake mix. It’s all the other ingredients I’m adding that makes this cake skinny compared to a regular cake. And, it’s really yummy. The skinny for each slice, 228 calories, 5 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Here’s a quick tip-First bake, let cool and glaze. Cut into individual slices and freeze for a last minute treat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 55-60 minutes
Ingredients for Cake:
1 (18.25 ounces) Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix, see shopping tip
1 (3.4 oz) package of instant pistachio pudding
1 cup fat-free milk
½ cup warm water
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond
2 eggs, I like Eggland’s Best eggs
2 egg whites
Ingredients for Glaze:
1½ cups powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1½ tablespoons fat-free milk
1 drop green food coloring
1 tablespoon sprinkles, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray with flour in it, see shopping tip below.
2. In an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, combine all the cake ingredients except the eggs and egg whites. Beat well.
3. Add the eggs and egg whites. Mix well.
4. Pour the cake batter evenly into the coated Bundt pan.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan.
6. Let cake cool completely. In a small bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients except the sprinkles. Mix until very thick and smooth. Drizzle glaze over the top of the cake. Decorate with sprinkles on top, if desired.
Serves 16 (1 slice per serving)
In 1953, the first Duncan Hines cake mixes were sold.
In baked goods or ice cream, the flavor commonly considered to be pistachio is really a subtle almond flavor. Green-tinted batter adds to the pistachio perception.
Shopping Tip s
The only cake mixes I ever use and recommend are Duncan Hines. I’ve tried all the mixes available and Duncan Hines mixes are the best tasting!
Whenever a recipe calls for using whole eggs, Egg-Land’s Best eggs are my favorite to use. They have less saturated fat, less cholesterol, more Vitamin D, more Vitamin E and double the Omega 3 than regular eggs. They’re sold in most supermarkets .
I strongly recommend using cooking spray, with flour in it. It ensures that the baked cake will not stick to the pan and break. Cooking spray with flour can be found in the aisle where cooking oils are displayed.
This cake will keep covered on the counter top for 1 week. It also freezes great. Make sure the cake is cooled before glazing. Once the glaze sets, freeze in plastic containers. When ready to eat, zap in the microwave for about 40 seconds. Or, let them defrost on the kitchen counter.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
228 calories, 5g fat, 3g protein, 47g carbs, 0g fiber, 311mg sodium, 31g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 slice
300 calories, 12g fat, 3g protein, 47 carbs, 0g fiber, 314mg sodium, 35g sugar