Have you ever tried this amazing chicken dish? It’s one of the most beloved dinners on Outback’s menu. With bacon, melted cheese and a dreamy mustard sauce, this chicken dish is out of this world. One problem though…Each serving has 756 calories and 47 grams of fat! Good news though. My skinny remake has all the same great flavors and tastes really, really good! Each serving has 264 calories, 9 grams fat and 6 Weight Watchers FreeStyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook and Bake Time: 25 minutes
4 (1 pound total) boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness, see shopping and prep tips
½ teaspoon seasoning salt, I like Lawry’s, or salt
4 slices bacon, see shopping tips
¼ cup yellow or spicy brown mustard (not Dijon)
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise, I like Best Food’s (Hellman’s)
2 tablespoons non-fat plain yogurt
½ tablespoons dried onions flakes or 1 tablespoon scallions, chopped (green part only)
1½ teaspoon olive oil
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
¼ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (for gluten-free, use Sargento)
1. Sprinkle chicken breasts with seasoning salt. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. In the meantime, line a microwave safe plate with several paper towels. Place bacon on top and cover with more paper towels. Cook for about 4 minutes until bacon is crisp. Blot well, cool slightly and crumble. Set aside.
3. Add mushrooms to a small bowl and cook in the microwave for 1 minute to soften. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, mix together mustard, honey, mayonnaise, yogurt and dried onion flakes or scallions. Set aside.
5. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add oil and heat. Place chicken in pan and saute over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes per side until browned. Move chicken to an baking dish that has been coated with a little cooking spray.
6. Spread most of the honey mustard sauce over each chicken breast, then layer each piece with the mushrooms, top with the remaining honey mustard sauce, sprinkle each with crumbled bacon. Finally, top each with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
6. Bake in a 350° oven for about 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and chicken is done.
Makes 4 servings
To save time, many supermarkets sell packages of thin cut, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I bought mine at Trader Joe’s. Otherwise, be sure to pound them a bit to make them thinner.
I’ve combed the supermarket shelves looking for one of the leanest regular bacon choices and Oscar Meyer Center Cut Bacon is my favorite, compared to most regular bacon. It’s much lower in fat and calories, 3 slices contain 70 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. Once cooked on paper towels, most of the fat soaks into the paper, not in the bacon, so the fat is further cut down.
I recently discovered a fantastic, healthier bacon. It’s called Applegate Farms Natural Sunday Bacon. It’s low in fat and calories, uncured, contains no nitrites and is gluten-free. Many supermarkets carry this brand. I bought it at Vons/Safeway and Whole Foods. Here’s the link to their website:
Pound each breast, one at a time, between two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap. Pound to ½ inch thickness, with something heavy. A meat mallet, if you have it, a big can of tomatoes or a rolling pin. Or for ease, many supermarkets sell packages of thin slices of chicken breasts. I found them at Trader Joe’s. This will save you prep time.
Weight Watchers FreeStyle SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 8
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
264 calories, 9g fat, 3g sat. fat, 63mg chol, 29g prot, 20g carbs, 1g fiber, 666mg sod, 18g sugar
|FACTS: for FreeStyle SmartPoints
135 calories, 2g sat. fat, 4g protein, 17g sugar