When bananas on your counter start to develop that dark squashy look and no one wants to eat them anymore, forget about throwing them out…Make banana bread! In fact, the key to an exceptional banana bread is to use overripe bananas. They’re very sweet, flavorful and make the bread soft and moist. This banana bread is particularly nutritious due to the potassium in bananas, whole wheat flour, Grape-Nuts and rolled oats. Each slice has 189 calories, 3 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 65-70 minutes
Ingredients for Banana Bread:
3 very ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
1 egg, I like using Egg-Land’s Best
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1½ cups whole wheat flour
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ cup Grape-Nuts cereal
Ingredients for Topping:
¼ cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons Grape-nuts cereal
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 8½-loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer or fork, in a large bowl, mash the bananas.
3. Add sugar and mix until smooth.
4. Stir in egg, canola oil and applesauce.
5. Add flour, vanilla, baking soda, salt, ¼ cup Grape-Nuts and mix until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of batter. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan.
Makes 12 slices (each serving, 1 slice)
Banana bread recipes became very popular in the 1960’s. It’s considered a “quick bread” which is a light and moist baked good that’s quick to make. Unlike most breads, quick breads require no yeast, kneading or rising time. Banana bread has a thick batter and is a cross between a cake and a bread
Bananas are rich in potassium and vitamin C.
To ripen bananas quickly, store enclosed in a perforated brown bag for a few days, with an apple in the bag.
Stored in plastic wrap or a plastic bag, banana bread will keep on the counter for about a week. It also freezes great. Try slicing into single servings, wrap individually and store in the freezer. When ready to eat, zap in the microwave for about 25 seconds.
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
189 calories, 3g fat, 4g protein, 39g carbs, 3g fiber, 280mg sodium, 22g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 slice
318 calories, 12g fat, 5g protein, 46g carbs, 2g fiber, 414mg sodium, 22g sugar