It’s one of my very favorite chicken pot pie recipes! It’s not a typical pot pie recipe. It’s luxuriously rich in Italian flavors since using light Alfredo sauce for the base of the chicken stew. Although a bit higher in fat and POINTS than my other pot pie recipe, it’s still much lower in fat than a regular one. Each skinny serving has 355 calories, 12 grams of fat and 11 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. So worthy to make from time to time. The entire family will love it and it’s fabulous enough for company!
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 14 minutes
3 cups mushrooms
1½ cups onions, chopped
1½ cups potato, peeled and cubed (½ inch cubes)
1 cup zucchini, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
3 cups (12 oz) cooked chicken (boneless, skinless), cut into bite-size pieces, see shopping tip
2 (10 oz) containers Buitoni Light Alfredo Sauce, see shopping tip
1 cup frozen peas (not defrosted)
½ teaspoon dried basil
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 (12 oz) can Pillsbury Golden Layer Buttermilk Flaky Biscuits (100 calories for each biscuit)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13″ x 9″ baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large microwave safe bowl, add mushrooms, onions, potatoes, zucchini and red pepper. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
3. Coat a large, nonstick large pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and all cooked vegetables. Do not drain liquid from veggies. Sauté for 3 minutes. Stir often. Using a rubber spatula (so you don’t mash the potatoes) stir in cooked chicken, Alfredo sauce, frozen peas (breaking them up), basil and pepper. Bring back to a boil, turn heat down and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir often.
4. Pour chicken stew into baking pan.
5. Open package of biscuits, separate them and place on top of chicken stew. Line them evenly over top. Note: if you prefer your biscuits more toasted, you can easily bake them separately on a baking sheet. Follow the directions on the package. Once baked and chicken stew is baked, top each serving with 1 biscuit.
6. Bake for 15-17 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.
7. To serve: Spoon ¾ cup chicken stew and top with 1 biscuit. There will be 2 extra biscuits.
Serves 8 (each serving, ¾ cup chicken stew and 1 biscuit)
You’ll find Buitoni Light Alfredo sauce in the refrigerated section where other pasta sauces are sold.
I used 1 (12 oz) package of Trader Joe’s grilled chicken strips, cut into bite-size pieces. So delicious!
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 11
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 9
Weight Watchers (old points) 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (each serving, ¾ cup chicken stew and 1 biscuit)
355 calories, 12g fat, 7g sat. fat, 54mg chol, 21g protein, 34g carbs, 4g fiber, 843mg sodium, 7g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving made with full fat ingredients
525 calories, 27g fat, 31g protein, 41g carbs, 5g fiber, 1,324mg sodium, 7g sugar