This recipe is a true low cal gem…So fresh and refreshing! First, this chicken is super tender and flavorful. Marinating in fresh lime juice and seasonings really adds to its tenderness. In addition, I’m topping the cooked chicken with a tasty and simple to make honey lime glaze. This summertime salsa is sweet, crunchy and mildly spicy. It too is marinated in a lively sauce. It’s so versatile and works as an amazing accompaniment to chicken, fish, or pork. You’ll love how in low calories and fat this dish is at 213 calories, 3 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Make some yummy toasted garlic bread to serve on the side. Check out my simple recipe below.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients for Salsa:
2 cups watermelon, seeded and diced
1 small ear fresh sweet corn, cut from the cob
½ cup cucumber, peeled and diced
½ cup yellow or orange sweet bell pepper, diced
3 tablespoons red onion, diced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, see prep tip
2 teaspoons honey
¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
¼ teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Chicken:
4 chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each), boneless, skinless
¼ cup fresh lime juice, see prep tip
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper
Ingredients for Honey Lime Glaze:
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, see prep tip
1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. To Make Salsa: In a medium bowl, combine watermelon, cucumber, sweet pepper, corn, cilantro and onion. In a small bowl, mix together ¼ cup lime juice, honey, red pepper flakes and salt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving, to blend flavors.
2. To Make Chicken: In a shallow bowl add the chicken, 3 tablespoons lime juice and sprinkle with a little garlic powder, salt and pepper. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Coat a large nonstick pan or a grill pan with olive oil spray, add olive oil and heat. Add chicken, cover, and sauté over medium heat until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes total. Remove chicken from pan
3. To Make Honey Lime Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together ¼ cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons honey and Tabasco. Add honey lime glaze to same pan. Cook for about 30 seconds until melted. Return cooked chicken to pan, flipping chicken once to coat with the glaze.
4. Remove from pan and plate each piece. Spoon watermelon salsa on top of each piece of chicken and serve with more salsa on the side.
5. Serve with my recipe for Simple Garlic Toast, if desired. Recipe follows.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe for Simple Garlic Toast
Start with 4 slices sourdough wheat bread. I bought it at Trader Joe’s but most markets sell sourdough wheat bread or use regular sourdough slices. Cut each slice in half and toast all of them. Spread each half with 1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light. Sprinkle each with a little garlic powder. Place all 8 halves on a plate and reheat in microwave for about 15 seconds.
My favorite garlic powder is Lawry’s with parsley. I’ve been buying it for years because it taste much better than most garlic powders.
Watermelon is a good source of pure water and an excellent diuretic. Because of its high water content, watermelon is lower in calories than many other fruits. It’s also packed with lycopene.
If you’d prefer to grill the chicken, first preheat the grill. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade to protect against cross-contamination. Coat grill with olive oil cooking spray. Place chicken on grill and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Continue recipe by following step 3 and 4 above.
You need about 4 limes, depending on size, to make the ⅔ cup needed for this recipe. To get the maximum amount of juice from each lime, roll limes on a hard surface with the palm of your hand before slices and juicing.
If your chicken breasts are large cut each in half to be about 4 ounces each.
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (not including garlic toast)
213 calories, 3g fat, 25g protein, 26g carbs, 2g fiber, 345mg sodium, 18g sugar
|FAT FACTS: the skinny and fat facts are the same for this recipe|