There’s nothing better than a home baked cake! This light, luscious, lemony cake will surely delight everyone. The robust tang of the lemon adds to the delicate crunch of the poppy seeds. It doesn’t get simpler than making one of my “no time to bake cakes.” I’m starting with a cake mix then adding lots of fresh, skinny ingredients. No one will believe that this dreamy cake is actually much lower in fat and calories yet taste as rich as a fattening one. I’ve cut the fat by using mostly egg whites, buttermilk instead of sour cream and a small amount of canola oil instead of gobs of butter or oil. I’m comparing this delicious cake to Caribou Coffee’s Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake and the numbers look great! One slice of their cake has 540 calories and 27 grams of fat. My skinny cake has 246 calories, 8 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS. It’s pure lemon bliss…
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
Ingredients for Cake:
1 (18.25 oz) box Duncan Hines lemon cake mix
1 (3.4 oz) package instant lemon pudding
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup water
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup poppy seeds (1.25 oz container)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 egg whites
1 egg, I like Eggland’s Best eggs
Ingredients for Glaze:
1½ cups powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 drop yellow food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray. In an electric mixer or large bowl, using a hand mixer, add the cake mix, pudding, buttermilk, water, applesauce, canola oil, poppy seeds and lemon juice. Mix until blended. Add the egg whites, egg, and beat until smooth.
2. Pour cake batter into the prepare Bundt pan. Spread evenly.
3. Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes. Carefully loosen all the sides with a knife and remove the cake onto a plate. Cool cake completely before glazing.
4. To make glaze: In a small bowl add powdered sugar and lemon juice. Blend until very smooth. The glaze should be thick. Remove ¼ cup of glaze to a separate small bowl. Add the food color and mix well.
5. Drizzle white glaze all around the top of the cake. Next, drizzle the yellow glaze on top of white glaze.
Serves 16 (each serving, 1 slice)
In 1953, the first Duncan Hines cake mixes were sold.
Years ago buttermilk was the liquid leftover after butter was churned. Today it’s commercially made by adding special bacteria to nonfat or low-fat milk. This gives it the slightly tangy flavor.
Lemon juice is an excellent source of vitamin C.
This cake will last for several days covered on top of the counter. It also freezes great. I like to cut the leftover cake into individual slices and put into plastic containers to store in the freezer.
Poppy seeds have high oil content and are subject to turning rancid. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
246 calories, 8g fat, 5g protein, 43g carbs, 0g fiber, 352mg sodium, 10g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 slice of Caribou Coffee Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake
540 calories, 27g fat, 7g protein, 68g carbs, 1g fiber, 400mg sodium, 43g sugar