Let’s face it, most turkey burgers taste, well, rather forgettable. They’re dry, flavorless and unmemorable. Yet, we eat them because we want a healthier alternative to a decadent beef burger. Great news…This Skinny Turkey Burger is nothing short of wonderful…It’s juicy, satisfying, and packed with a dreamy barbecue flavor. The trick is making it moist. I’m adding chopped onions, an egg white and barbecue sauce. It’s amazing how well it binds the turkey meat and keeps it from drying out. And, talk about flavor! I’m topping it with sautéed onions, romaine lettuce and tomato, all on a wonderful whole wheat bun. The skinny for 1 burger made with Trader Joe’s Honey Wheat Buns, 395 calories, 9 grams of fat and 10 Weight Watchers POINTS. If using a whole wheat sandwich thin, each burger has 296 calories, 7.5 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Grill Time: 10 minutes
2 large red onions cut into slices
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon water
1¼ lb. package lean ground turkey
1 cup yellow or red onion, chopped fine
½ cup Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue, or your favorite
1 egg white
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
6 whole wheat buns, I love Trader Joe’s Honey Whole Wheat Buns or whole wheat sandwich thins or your favorite bun
1. Place sliced onions on a microwave-safe plate. Cook for 5-6 minutes in the microwave until onions are soft.
2. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil and heat. Add water, cooked onions and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Saute on medium-high heat until onions are very soft and browned, about 8 minutes. Stir often.
3. This burger is best made using a Panini grill or George Foreman grill. Preheat sandwich grill. In a large bowl add the ground turkey, chopped onions, barbecue sauce, egg white, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix until well blended. If you want to cook these on the barbecue, only use ¼ cup of barbecue sauce instead of ½ cup. Be sure to coat the grill with cooking spray before adding the burgers, so they won’t stick!
4. Shape mixture into 6 patties. Form the patties as large as the bun since they shrink when cooked. Cook for 4-5 minutes total because both sides of the burger are cooked at once. To cook in a nonstick pan, coat the pan first with cooking spray. Add patties and cook on each side about 4-5 minutes.
5. Serve burgers topped with warm sauteed onions, lettuce and tomato. Serve ketchup, mustard and barbecue sauce on the side.
6. Any leftover burgers will freeze great for another time.
Makes 6 burgers
Most large supermarkets sell Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce.
Cutting Calories Tips
Cooking burgers in a George Foreman grill or Panini grill cuts down on the fat of the turkey because the all the excess fat oozes out of the burger, when cooked.
If you want to cut the calories, try a bun alternative such as Oroweat Honey Wheat Sandwich Thins. These can be found in most large supermarkets. One sandwich thin has 100 calories, 1g fat, and 5g fiber. They come in several flavors with the same nutrition facts.
Skinny Facts: for 1 turkey burger using a sandwich thin
296 calories, 7.5g fat, 27g protein, 34g carbs, 7g fiber, 622mg sodium, 6g sugar
Weight Watchers (old points) 6 using sandwich thins
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8 using sandwich thins
You can substitute lean ground beef for ground turkey, if desired.
This burger can also be made on the barbecue (grill). One change, add ¼ cup of barbecue sauce instead of ½ cup to the burger mixture. Coat the grill with a little olive oil or cooking spray so the burgers won’t stick. Preheat grill to medium-high. Coat both sides of each patty with a little cooking spray to avoid them sticking to the grill. Grill burgers covered until cooked through about 4-5 minutes per side.
Weight Watchers (old points) 8 using Trader Joe’s Honey Wheat Buns
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 10 using Trader Joe’s Honey Wheat Buns
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 turkey burger (including Trader Joe’s bun and sauteed onions)
395 calories, 9g fat, 30g protein, 48g carbs, 6g fiber, 772mg sodium, 12g sugar
|FAT FACTS:for 1 Chili’s BBQ Ranch Burger
1,110 calories, 71g fat, 56g protein, 60g carbs, 3g fiber, 1,920mg sodium