You’ll love this dreamy vegetarian casserole for “Meatless Mondays” or any night of the week. It’s very rich tasting while very low in fat and calories. The skinny for 1 serving, 211 calories, 4 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. In addition, it has 5 grams of fiber per serving. Any leftovers freeze great too!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
4 ounces whole wheat or whole grain thin spaghetti noodles, see shopping tip
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 cup red pepper, chopped
1¼ cups fat-free cottage cheese
4 wedges Light Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb Cheese (cut into small pieces), see shopping tip
1 (14 oz) jar of pasta or spaghetti sauce
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
⅓ cup Parmesan cheese grated or shredded, for the top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9 inch baking pan or Pyrex dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook spaghetti noodles and drain.
3. In the meantime, in a large bowl, add onions, zucchini, mushrooms and red bell pepper. Cook in microwave 3-4 minutes until soft. Drain any liquid. Stir in pasta sauce, Italian seasonings and black pepper.
4. In another bowl, combine cottage and cheese wedge pieces. Mix well.
5. To assemble casserole: Spread a small amount of sauce (about ¼ cup) on the bottom of pan. Spread half of spaghetti noodles on top of sauce. Cover with cheese mixture and spread evenly over pasta. Cover with ¾ cup pasta sauce. Add remaining noodles. Finally spread remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese evenly over top.
6. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until hot and browned.
7. Let sit for about 15 minutes to set. This casserole can be made a day or two in advance. It also freezes great!
8. Cut into 6 slices (each serving, 1 slice).
Four ounces of dry, uncooked pasta will yield 2 cups of cooked pasta.
You’ll find whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti in most supermarkets. There are several brands available. If you can’t find thin spaghetti noodles, use regular ones.
Light Laughing Cow cheese wedges can be found in the cheese aisle. If you can’t find garlic herb use plain. Each wedge has just 35 calories, 1.5g fat, 2g protein, 1g carbs, 210mg sodium, 1g sugar
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
211 calories, 4g fat, 14g protein, 29g carbs, 5g fiber, 608mg sodium, 8g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 slice of regular spaghetti pie
461 calories, 18g fat, 26g protein, 47g carbs, 2g fiber, 1026mg sodium, 12g sugar