I really love these coffee cake muffins. They’re light, lemony, tender, bursting with blueberries and crowed with a wonderful oatmeal streusel topping and lemon drizzle. Putting all these great flavors together in one fell swoop makes these muffins truly special. Prepping is easier since I’m starting with a cake mix. The skinny for 1 muffin is 250 calories, 7 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. One blueberry muffin from Costco has an astounding 612 calories and 32 grams of fat. These skinny muffins are dangerously good and wonderful to serve for brunch, afternoon treat or dessert!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Cake:
1 (18.25 oz) box Duncan Hines Lemon Cake Mix
1 (3.4 oz) package instant lemon pudding mix (dry pudding mix)
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup water
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup canola oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 egg whites
1 egg, I used Eggland’s Best eggs
1½ cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
Ingredients for Streusel Topping:
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, melted
Ingredients for Drizzle:
⅔ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray with flour, see shopping tip. In an electric mixer or large bowl using a hand mixer, add cake mix, pudding, buttermilk, water, applesauce, canola oil and lemon juice. Mix until blended. Add egg whites, egg and beat until smooth. By hand, gently fold in blueberries.
2. Pour batter into the muffin cups. Fill each to almost the top. Spread evenly.
3. To make streusel: In a small bowl, add oats, sugar, flour, cinnamon and mix together with a fork. Gradually add melted butter and stir to coat well. Top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon streusel.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes. Carefully loosen each muffin with a knife and remove onto a plate. Cool before adding the drizzle.
5. To make the drizzle: In a small dish, combine sugar, lemon juice and mix until smooth.
6. Drizzle 1 teaspoon over the top of each muffin. Store muffins covered on the kitchen counter for several days. They freeze great too.
Makes 18 muffins
Cooking spray, with flour, is a great find. This spray makes removing the muffins easy. I also recommend it when baking cakes. You’ll find it in the aisle where cooking oil is found.
If you can’t find a Duncan Hines lemon cake mix substitute it with a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix.
Resist adding more blueberries than specified in this recipe, as the extra moisture creates muffins with fruit-soaked bottoms. The timing of adding the blueberries can make or break the look of this muffin. If you add them too soon, the berries will break and turn the batter blue.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 muffin
250 calories, 7g fat, 3g protein, 50g carbs, 1g fiber, 299mg sodium, 32g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 Costco Kirkland’s blueberry muffin
612 calories, 32g fat, 8g protein, 71g carbs, 2g fiber, 591mg sodium, 40g sugar