We all love comfort food and this casserole screams comfort! It’s a
lightened-up version of a classic Shepherd’s pie. It really has it all with lean protein from ground turkey, lots of veggies and topped with low calorie hash browns. The sauce is delightfully rich in flavor. The skinny for 1 serving, 356 calories, 8 grams of fat and 9 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. I like to pack any leftovers in individual serving containers and freeze.
Prep Time: 20 minutes (includes some cooking)
Bake Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients for Pie:
1 pound ground turkey
1½ teaspoon olive oil
1½ cups onions, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
½ cup red wine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
1 cup frozen green peas
Ingredients for Topping:
7 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, not thawed
3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, melted
Olive oil or canola oil cooking spray
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Coat a 12 x 9 or 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
3. In a large nonstick pan, brown ground turkey over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes. Pour turkey into a colander and drain all the fat. Blot with paper towels. Set aside.
4. In same pan, heat 1½ teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
5. Stir in flour and tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, broth, wine, Worcestershire and Dijon. Bring to a boil, reduced heat to medium-low and stir in cooked ground turkey and peas.
6. Pour filling into baking dish and place on baking sheet.
7. For the topping: arrange frozen hash browns on top of filling. Lightly press the potatoes down to keep them mounded. Drizzle melted melted butter all over top of potatoes. Spray olive oil or canola oil cooking spray all over the top of potatoes. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, to taste
8. Place casserole in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until potatoes are golden brown.
9. Let pie cool for 15 minutes to set before serving.
Serves 8 (each serving, ⅛ of recipe)
Shepherd’s Pie was originally created as an economical way to use leftovers from the Sunday roast. It’s usually made with some kind of ground or diced meat such as beef, lamb or mutton mixed with a gravy and vegetables and topped with mashed potatoes.
Frozen hash browns are terrific. They’re just potatoes with no fat added. One cup has 70 calories, 0 fat and 0 trans fat.
Taking the time to drain the browned ground turkey before adding it back to the pan cuts the calories and fat way down.
The best way to melt the reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance light is in the microwave. Be sure to cover it with a dish so it doesn’t get all over your microwave. Heat for about 20 seconds.
Wrap in individual portions and freeze any leftovers.
Weight Watchers (old points) 7
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 9
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (each serving ⅛ of recipe)
356 calories, 8g fat, 25g protein, 46g carbs, 5g fiber, 473mg sodium, 4g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving
538 calories, 30g fat, 24g protein, 46g carbs, 6g fiber, 1048mg sodium, 4g sugar