These tantalizing twice-baked Italian cookies have been so popular in America for years. They’re subtly sweet and ultra crispy. A delight at any hour but I love them as an afternoon treat with a steaming cup of coffee or tea, or to top of a Italian themed dinner. Since mine are sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar they make a sweet dipping cookie. You’ll get a hint of cinnamon in every sip! They’re skinny because I’m using much less canola oil, chocolate chips, whole eggs and salt. Each biscotti has 43 calories, 2 grams of fat and 1 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 10 minutes (batter needs to be chilled for 30 minutes before baking)
Bake Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients for Biscotti:
4 egg whites
1 egg, I used Eggland’s Best
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour, I used unbleached flour
½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Topping:
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, or an electric mixer, blend together the egg whites, egg, and oil.
3. Add the vanilla and sugar, mix well.
4. Mix in the flour, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt until the dough is combined. (Do not over mix) Place dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.
5. In a small bowl blend together the topping ingredients-sugar and cinnamon.
6. Divide the dough into 4 portions. Shape each portion into a loaf 2 inches wide, 1-inch high, and about 10- inches long. Place the loaves 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle each loaf with a little cinnamon/sugar on the top.
7. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer loaves to a cutting board using a spatula. Cut the loaves crosswise into ¼- inch slices. Place the slices back on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the slices with the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
8. Return the sliced loaves back to the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Turn the biscotti over, sprinkle with the cinnamon/sugar and bake for another 12 minutes or until crispy.
Makes 100 mini biscotti
Biscotti are twice-baked Italian cookies that are made by first baking in a loaf, then slicing the loaf and baking the slices. The Italians favor them as a dipping cookie to dunk in wine.
Research has linked cinnamon with helping to reduced blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels in people with type-2 diabetes.
Store biscotti in an airtight container. They will stay fresh for at least a month, if they last that long!
Weight Watchers (old points) 1
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 1
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 biscotti
43 cal 1.7g fat, 1g protein, 7g carbs, 0g fiber, 16mg sodium, 4g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 biscotti
60 cal, 3.1g fat, 1g protein, 8g carbs, 0g fiber, 27mg sodium, 5g sugar