Many of you know and love Bourbon Chicken. But, it’s normally very fattening! I’ve made it a whole lot skinnier by using very little oil, reduced-sodium soy sauce and adding lots of vegetables. Each serving now has 367 calories, 6 grams fat, 6 grams of fiber and 9 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. A regular serving of Bourbon Chicken has a whopping 726 calories, 25 grams of fat and a shocking 2144 mg of sodium. My recipe is served over healthy brown rice as opposed to the usual white. Now you can enjoy every bite of this decadent meal guilt-free!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil
1 pound chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces (boneless, skinless)
1½ cups onions, chopped
½ cup water
⅓ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar or rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
4 cups broccoli florets
2 cups Chinese pea pods
2½ cups cooked Basmati brown rice or regular brown rice
1. Heat oil in a nonstick wok or large nonstick pan.
2. Add chicken pieces and onions and stir fry until lightly browned.
3. In a small bowl add the water, brown sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes and mix well.
4. Add mixture to the pan of chicken and stir in the broccoli. Mix well and bring up to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes until broccoli is tender. Stir fry often.
5. Stir in pea pods and cook for 3-5 more minutes, until tender.
6. Divide the stir-fry into 5 servings and spoon each serving over ½ cup of brown rice.
Makes 5 servings
Broccoli is a member of the cruciferous family.
Broccoli is a super source of vitamin C and is believed to help protect against cancer.
Refrigerate unwashed pea pods in a plastic bag for up to 4 days.
Weight Watchers (old points) 7
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 9
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving including ½ cup brown rice
367 calories, 5.5g fat, 29g protein, 52g carbs, 6g fiber, 682 mg sodium, 20g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving including white rice
726 calories, 25g fat, 54g protein, 96g carbs, 1g fiber, 2,155 mg sodium,21g sugar